Moringa (Mallungay) Soup
What are the health benefits of moringa?
Scientific research confirms that these humble leaves are a powerhouse of nutritional value. Gram for gram, moringa leaves contain: SEVEN times the vitamin C in oranges, FOUR times the Calcium in milk, FOUR times the vitamin A in carrots, TWO times the protein in milk and THREE times the Potassium in bananas.
There are many benefits of the moringa tree, but the health benefits are the most important. Research has shown that various parts of the moringa tree can be effective in a significant number of health concerns. Here’s a quick look at a few of them:
– Moringa is rich in Vitamin A. It contains four times more Vitamin A or beta-carotene than carrots. Hence, it is a weapon against blindness.
– It is also a rich source of Vitamin C many times more than oranges.
– Normally milk is said to be a rich source of calcium but the amount of calcium present in moringa leaves is way higher than in milk.
– The moringa leaves are said to contain two times the protein present in milk.
– Bananas are a rich source of potassium. But moringa leaves contain several times more potassium than bananas.
– Along with potassium, zinc is also found in large quantities in moringa.
– If moringa leaves were to be eaten by one and all, the world will be free of anemia as it contains three times more iron than spinach.
– With all the junk food eaten these days, many people face problems of high cholesterol. – – Moringa helps in balancing the cholesterol levels in the body.
– Essential Amino acids are also found in moringa.
– Moringa is also said to balance sugar levels, hence it is helpful in the fight against diabetes.
– The body’s natural defense mechanism increases with the consumption of moringa in the daily diet pattern. Since it is an immunity-stimulant, it is prescribed for AIDS afflicted patients.
Moringa leaves can be consumed to stimulate metabolism.
– It is also said to have digestive powers.
– It is a nutrition booster and is known to promote a feeling of well-being in people.
– If you are looking for non-sugar based energy, then moringa leaves is the answer. Thus, it will also help in the weight loss process.
– The cell structure of the body is stimulated by the moringa leaves.
– It is especially useful for lactating mothers. The consumption of moringa has shown dramatic increase in the quantity of breast milk.
– It is also famous for its anti-bacterial properties.
– The paste of the moringa leaves is said to beautify the skin and is hence applied by women regularly.
– It protects the liver and kidneys.
– It can also be used as a water purifier.
Moringa contains more than 90 nutrients and 46 types of antioxidants. With all the health benefits of moringa, it can easily be termed as the most nutritious plant on the face of the earth. There are no side-effects of moringa tree leaves which have been proved till date. At the same time it can be consumed by small children and adults alike. Therefore, many people have started using it in porridge, pastas, breads, etc., to reap the everlasting health benefits of the extraordinary ‘moringa’.
I love using moringa because it is nutritious, and it has a delicious taste. And it lends itself beautifully to soups. And for those shifting to vegetarianism, one of the frequent problems is finding vegetarian soup. We think it’s difficult making vegetarian soup because we are have been conditioned to use meat stock.
Here is our recipe for moringa, squash, camote (sweet potato) soup. it’s so easy to make, even a those who can’t cook can’t possibly mess this up.
2 cups moringa leaves
1 wedge squash peeled and sliced thinly
1 medium Camote (sweet potatoes) peeled and sliced thinly
half an onion sliced
3 cloves garlic crushed and peeled
salt to taste
vegetable oil for sauteing
5 cups water
(01) Heat vegetable oil in a pot.
(02) Lower heat and saute onions until they start turning brown.
(03) Add the garlic and saute until they become fragrant.
(04) Add squash and camote slices and stir.
(05) Pour in water and increase the heat.
(06) Boil the camote and squash until tender. We want the squash and camote to start disintegrating. you can help them along by mashing the squash and camote with the back of a spoon.
(07) Add moringa leaves and simmer for two minutes.
(08) Season with salt.